HOW TO GET STARTED WITH HTML5 GAME DEVELOPMENT
HTML5 Game Development—that’s quite a word. More like a buzzword for programming geeks. Or is it?
To the rest of the nomads like myself, this article will take us into the art of designing, developing, and release of the game. But for that to happen, it’s essential to get the nitty-gritty correct. However, we will not submerge a lot into the technicalities of coding and decoding, but ensure that game development makes all sense to you before you know it. Interesting and fun. So let’s begin, shall we?
HTML5: WHAT IS IT?
HTML5 is a hyped-up markup language… wait, what? We know the acronym “Hyper Text Markup Language,” but that still doesn’t explain what it is or does. HTML5 is an incredible technology that allows you to do almost anything on your web browser without downloading third-party plug-ins.
Do any of these pop-up messages ring a bell for you? ‘Please install Microsoft Silverlight to continue. ‘Please download Flash to view this content or upgrade your Java plug-in. Well, there will not be any more of these. HTML5 enables you to do virtually anything like play in-browser top html5 games, embed movies or videos, and run complex applications with no external support.
So how is it all possible?
As the name suggests, HTML5 is an updated version of HTML (the ancient language that describes our web pages) with additional elements, attributes, and many wow features. It works with a more extensive set of technologies that allow you to build robust and interactive websites and smooth-running applications that can work offline, detect your location, and support high-resolution video and animation.
The web page that appears is the three kinds of code working together to give you a seamless experience:
1) HTML itself (the language that provides structure, such as word placement and font).
2) Cascading Style Sheets or CSS concerned with your page’s graphics and presentation.
So what do you think is new about HTML5 that has made it a popular choice?
- Easy-to-read code
- Supported by almost all platforms and browsers
- Responsive design that remains consistent between browsers
- No need to pay a premium to use it
- Multimedia support that doesn’t rely on Flash
- Feature-rich applications that can run from the browser without additional software support
The ability to load multimedia without Flash is a meaningful advantage, especially among Apple users, as Apple devices do not support Flash. Also, many game developers bid farewell to Flash, as it consumes more memory and computing power. Adobe has finally stopped releasing updates for its Flash Player, and developers moved on to HTML5 long ago when it was launched in 2014. The cross-platform functionality works smoothly using a smartphone, a tablet, a notebook, or even a smart TV. HTML had come a long way from when it simply struggled to handle a basic page layout.
HTML5 GAME DEVELOPMENT:
Now that we have a grip on what HTML5 is, let’s dig deeper into the realm of HTML5 games and how they are changing the rapidly evolving industry. HTML5 will not be obsolete soon, and this web browser technology is here to stay. So it makes sense for game developers to leverage it to create vibrant games that can load from within the browser.
Click. Load. Play. That’s how gamers roll. Chances are, the games you play on Facebook also use HTML5 engines. Snappy, right? A lot goes behind the screen that makes your uninterrupted entertainment possible. Let’s find out how!
HTML5 canvas element enables developers to draw shapes and convert them to 2D and 3D images to be added to the library and ready for use. It is a powerful way of drawing graphs, composing photos, or making animations (simple to complex). The most up-to-date versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera support canvas, but Internet Explorer 8 has not joined the bandwagon yet.
For an enhanced gaming experience, HTML5 Game developers integrate both WebGL and Canvas into their games to create an immersive environment for gaming that works just about everywhere. And yes, HTML5 games are deployed on all platforms. Developers code for one platform and conquer all, with code snippet modification for each forum. You can access the game with your player history and stats from another device and continue playing without a glitch. Neat!
TOP HTML5 GAME ENGINES:
HTML5 game engine comes with its exhaustive library of HTML5 game frameworks. If you are into game development, you will need a software development environment to create the game. This phenomenon is also called the game engine.
Game engines are one reason developers love working with HTML5 because they speed up the complicated job of the development with their pre-built components, so you code less from scratch and more time tweaking game details for a flawless experience. In all simplicity, game engines are another layer that does the grunt work for you. Developers use them to process:
- Asset loading
- Animations and more
These are necessary elements even if you make a primary emulator, puzzle, or shooting game that keeps score.
Some standard 2D and 3D HTML5 frameworks are:
- Phaser Game Engine
- PlayCanvas Game Engine
- PixiJS Game Engine
- Babylon JS Game Engine
- Game Pencil Engine
- Voxel.JS Game Engine
- ImpactJS Game Engine
- CopperLicht Game Engine
- CreateJS Game Engine
- Turbulenz Game Engine
- GameMaker Studio 2 Game Engine
- Three.js Game Engine
- Construct 3 Game Engine
- Egret Game Engine
Game engines or frameworks contain components you can use to build your own game. Some are open-sourced components, while a community of game enthusiasts creates and maintains others. Some frameworks want others to contribute or use their features in their projects.
Deciding what game engine to use is a crucial step in game development because whichever framework you choose to work with, you have to get comfortable with its coding style and inner working. Following a question checklist can narrow down your search for an optimal engine to work with:
- For what platform are you developing the game?
- Is the game engine up to date?
- Does it have an active community of users or builders, or are people left to fend for themselves?
- How many people are using it, or is it an abandoned ship?
- Phaser: Phaser is a popular 2D HTML5 game engine that is an open source framework for Canvas and WebGL-powered browser games. Some popular games created with Phaser are Submarine Dash and Elf Runner. You can give it a spin by creating an instant Facebook game with this framework!
- Construct 3: One of the most versatile HTML5 game development frameworks, Construct 3 builds games rapidly and does not require programming. Developers can make games anywhere from desktops to raspberry pis and distribute them across all platforms. Adding 3D elements to the game is also an option, as the Construct 3 game engine can run intensive graphics and is fast and powerful under the hood.
- ImpactJS: One of the first HTML5 game engines that lets you create stunning games for all browsers and platforms.
WHY DEVELOP GAMES WITH HTML5?
We already know one good reason why HTML5 is a good game development option—its universal compatibility offers support for all web browsers without third-party crutches and works well across platforms.
Let’s dig into some more benefits of HTML5 games:
- The continuous inflow of cutting-edge features includes high-resolution graphics, audio API, offline assets, and a responsive screen layout that adjusts to different aspect ratios and screen resolutions.
- It is open source and boasts a library of extensive APIs to deliver an authentic gaming experience
- Have various game engines for rapid game development for 2D and 3D gaming?
- Games can be published and distributed immediately and updated and debugged in real time.
- The canvas element makes it possible for any shape to be drawn in 3D and imported as graphics to be used within the gaming environment.
- One of the essential features is that HTML5 games are also functional offline. You don’t need internet connectivity to play them.
TOP HTML5 GAMES THAT WILL GET YOU HOOKED!
If you are a game freak, like many of us, join in to take a gander at the top HTML5 games that most people talk about in the market today. Get ready to get addicted!
An addictive HTML5 game that keeps you hooked by matching jewels to score points. It is a timeless puzzle and matching game that uses WebGL for accelerated 2D graphics and employs subtle effects and sounds that make it stand out.
HexGL Racing Game
Another top HTML5 game makes you travel through space guided by an amoeba. The strategy is to avoid colliding with the red dots and collect the colored dots for power. You have to keep moving to score points.
The objective is to fill your bucket with sand, but beware of the rotating cube maze overhead that’s there to obstruct you. Not as simple as it sounds!
Built with socket.io, treasure arena is a multiplayer game for up to 4 players. It has different game modes and fun soundtracks for a truly immersive experience.
Angry bird is one of the popular games in the HTML5 version that you can play in your browser on your desktop without downloading the app.
Pixel race is one of the top HTML5 games without distractions: reasonable frame rate, minimalist graphics, and a relatively simple concept. You get to control your car to collect coins while avoiding obstacles.
All in all, thousands of other HTML5 games are popular among users worldwide. This article was meant to introduce an extensive overview of HTML5 gaming, its development process, and the frameworks required.
If you are a game enthusiast with a concept, you may try it on your own at open-source HTML5 game development frameworks. But if you are looking towards monetizing game distribution and want to build a game from scratch, then Gamenary has you covered.
Gamenary is a leading HTML5 game development company that executes your game concept into virtual reality. With years of experience in the gaming industry, we have built games for FMCG, banks, and Fortune 500 companies across the globe. Select a platform or framework of your choice, or allow us to take care of that to lessen the burden. We build high-quality games with rich graphics and a high frame rate that works across multiple platforms and feel incredibly seamless as you explore the game worlds we create.
So, ready to get in touch?